Saturday, October 9, 2021

Unicorns and tactical reserves

Stage 18: Montreux to Martigny (50,88 km) 

When I woke up this morning, I somehow felt like crap. Maybe the rest day wasn't good for me, maybe it was the pastis. Who knows.



The hike started out along the promenade of lake Genever, which is also part of the Biennale exposition every other year, so there are tons of exhibits to look at.



In Vielleneuve I say goodbye to the overcast lake and start towards the mountains, after having a small breakfast at a bakery.


Where I forget my glasses. Which costs me 3km and half an hour :-(

Todays stage is too long with 45 km planned. It was too long from the beginning, it is too long because I don't feel well, and it has just become longer still. And why? Only because 6 months ago, long before even thinking about this trip, I signed up for the Boston virtual marathon, which means I have to do more than a marathon today to get my "unicorn" medal. Stupid. So instead of hunting the unicorn, I am haunted by it.

The path leads mostly along the rive Rhone, which even here above the lake has considerable size. I pass the  UCI headquarters and am tempted to stop and ask for some dope to keep me going. They must have plenty of the good stuff, right?



They certainly have an awesome bike park.

Anyhow, on top of the forgotten glasses I also encounter two roads blocked due to construction, one I can walk through, the other costs me another 3 km. Bringing the trip to almost 51km in the end. Way to much for my current condition. This is the price you pay for not having a tactical reserve in your planning. Shame on me.

Just before the 40km mark, when I am really beginning to get desperate, a cyclist comes by, we start chatting and the accompanies me (pushing his bike) for the next 2 hours so so. The desperation is gone, the pain forgotten and by the time we say our goodbyes I have only an hour left to go. It gets stormy and cold, but that is ok for such a short piece of the way.

The cyclist passes me again on his way back from Martigny and takes this picture of me. Merci, Alex, merci pour tout. 



I arrive in Martigny which is about the opposite of what you imagine a cozy Swiss mountain village to be, but I don't care, the hotel is good and the Macky D has a double BigMac for me.

Tomorrow I will stretch my calf muscles.

No comments:

Post a Comment