Sunday, October 3, 2021

Everybody has a plan...

... until they get punched in the mouth. According to Mike Tyson.

Stage 13: Moutier to Biel (31,43 km) 

My original plan for the first part of the journey was to travel along the Eurovelo 15, the Rhine cycle path (Rheinradweg) to Basel.

Somewhere along the way, that plan got lost. It isn't even that I actively planned for a different route, that just appeared one day at a time. It started with not getting a decent place to stay where I wanted, so I tried "the other shore", meaning the French side of the river.

Although the first accommodation there (a cheap room in Strasbourg via AirBnB) wasn't a particular highlight, walking in France is just so much easier. Traffic is maybe 20% of what it is in Germany. And the traffic there is - is not a problem. Food is better, both in restaurants and in supermarkets. The quality you get, be it bread, cheese, juices, meats, anything (except for beer) is just supreme.

And then I found my old friend the canal again, and walking along its mostly shady shore on a well maintained cycling path was even more awesome than walking along father Rhine's bank.

So a day in France became five, I skipped Basel altogether and after crossing the Jura mountains today arrived in Biel.

The walk today was nothing spectacular, a mix of sun, clouds and the occasional very light shower, a couple of rather steep up- and downhills and mostly walking through woods.

Which made me realize: I don't like up- and downhills. I don't like woods. 


I like water (did I write about the the canal?). The coast. A river, lake, even a little creek.

So here I am in Biel, the lake Biel, the lake Neuchatel, the lake Geneva all are here - and look at my planned route. To the mountains as fast as possible.

This is what has kept me busy for the last couple of hours. Changing the plan. I will spend more time here, take in more scenery and enjoy what I like.

Will keep you posted. Oh, and there is a virtual unicorn on the horizon.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment